Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The "It Factor": If you don't have it how to get it.

Who has "It" and who doesn't? What is "It"? To me, having the "It Factor" is that thing that makes your eyes sparkle, makes people want to be around you, and makes all good things come to you. But having "It", that indescribable quality we all want to own is hard to put your finger on. It's difficult to accurately desribe the "It Factor" in a few words but these are some of the qualities "It" people ALWAYS have:

Sex appeal and they aren't afraid to let it show
Contagious passion and inspiration
The "I don't really give a F*&^ what people think of me I"m doing it anyway just because I want to" attitude.
Courage to take risks in work, love and life in general

I was at a conference yesterday with a group of very intelligent and accomplished women. Although many of the speakers were very informative and knowledgeable, I spent much of the afternoon studying the women around me. I noticed a certain amount of conformity in the room in the way people dressed, spoke and interacted with one another.

Since it's my job to notice posture and how people hold themselves, I would safely wager that the majority of the women there neglected themselves physically. Neglecting your body immediately diminishes the odds that you will have "It". I was dressed in tight jeans, trendy heels and a blouse that let a little bit of my tummy show. I definitely violated the dress code. In fact, some women were not happy with my brash disregard for the unspoken rules about sexuality in business environments. But hey, it's my job to help people look and feel good and if I can't do if for myself, how am I going to help other people do the same?
Just before the day ended, a woman who started an online magazine called girlphyte.com came up to speak. She's over 50 and looked about 38 dressed in a hip summer outfit, blond hair and had a rockin' body. The "It Factor" oozed out of her and if anyone in the room had "It" she did. I immediately perked up and focused all my attention on her. The energy in the room shfited instantly almost as if a new weather system had entered. She had half the time she was supposed to have, announced she was throwing her notes out and off she went like a cannon ball out of a cannon. And man, did she impact me. And it's because she had "It". And of course she's going to be insanely successful in her business venture.

In my work I would say that 90% of my clients have "it". The other 10% are working on having "It". And when I venture out of the little bubble I've created for myself, my little room where I have amazing people visit me all day, I am astonished by the proportion of people outside my bubble who have "It".

The number one killer of the "It" factor is fear.
Fear of failure
Fear of being judged
Fear of taking what you need and feeling selfish
Fear of being too much of anything
Fear of appearing too confident
Fear of having to change your present circumstances and start being in control of your life
Fear of being the you that lives deep in your soul

If you want to live a life of abundance, joy, spiritual fulfillment, you've got to dig deep and find the courage to uncover the "It Factor" in you. If you don't know where to start, the best door to open first is to start respecting and loving your body. The joy your body can provide to you, the immediate satisfaction you get from working out will light a fire in your soul and help you develop all the other qualities that are necessary ingredients to having "It".

It's time to join the "It Factor" club. Let me know if I can help.

1 comment:

BabyTalkers said...

Awesome blog post!! It was very inspiring. :)